Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Speak up.

So, for a long time in my life, I have been known "to tell it like it is." That's how many people describe my personality. I've also heard I'm forward, blunt, bold, and, if I'm really being inclusive with adjectives here, a bitch. Don't get me wrong, none of this bothers me in the slightest. It's all true. What does bother me, however, is the negative connotation that comes with being a forward person who isn't afraid to stand up for something.

For a long time in my life, I was silent. I won't go into my childhood, but it wasn't filled with a white picket fence and puppies and rainbows. I was bullied as a young girl and went through a lot in high school as well, and I didn't go home to an environment where I could be open and talk about it. So I didn't.

But then something magical happened. I realized one day when I turned 18 that I had a voice. A loud one. And ever since that moment, the moment where I realized that I could speak and be heard, I haven't shut up. And I never plan to.

What baffles me about life is the fact that so many people live by just going through the motions. They experience and witness wrongs, and instead of saying anything, they become professional complainers. They wouldn't want to say anything because it wouldn't help, right? People would judge them for speaking up. It might anger some people. You might be associated with those kind of people who just tell it like it is. You might be called a bitch. So you instead become a zombie, living by the rules that others set out for you because you're too afraid to stop being miserable and become a human. 

I'm not saying that standing up for yourself or others is an easy thing. Hell no. It takes a lot of courage. It's a shame that the world doesn't embrace forward thinkers who aren't afraid to question things. How can we possibly expect people to be brave when people often get shut down so easily? Chances are, if you've ever questioned someone or something, you've had a negative experience. People have probably told you to pick your battles, or that its just not worth it. They've probably told you that change can't just happen over night, or that you're going to upset a lot of people if you stand up for something you believe in that they disagree with. You have to be strong-willed to be the person to call something or someone out. You have to be able to take it when others tell you to back off, or that you're wrong. You also have know yourself and what you can handle. Sometimes, it's better to back off. But sometimes, all it takes is one person to instill a change. 

I guess my point is that I am truly saddened that so many people are afraid to change their lives and be happy because of what others might think if they speak up. It's a shame that those who have strong personalities are associated with negative adjectives. But if I'm really being honest, I'd rather be known as a bitch than be walked on for my entire life. I'd rather speak up and learn to deal with people who don't like it than sit around and watch others be bullied or wronged. There is definitely a right and wrong way to approach every situation, and I'm not suggesting you all go out and start yelling at people. But stop sitting idly by, judging those who refuse to.

No comments:

Post a Comment